Dealing Constructively with Fake News: Crowdsourcing Conclusion and the Development of a "1-Pager"
Planners/Contributors: Kathleen Gradel: SUNY Fredonia John Munro: University of the Virgin Islands, Ilene Frank, Librarian
TLT Group Moderators: Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey, Sally Gilbert
1:30 - 1:40 PM ET pre session - especially for those new to Google Slides/Presentation.
1:40 - 1:55 PM ET Exchange Resources/Issues, Requests, Amusing Reports
1:55 - 2:00 PM ET Technology Orientation
2:00 -3:00 PM ET Main event.
3:00 - 3:30 PM ET Afterthoughts
These days, too often, reliable information is being dismissed, undermined, or lost in a flood of Fake News, Misinformation, and Disinformation. So we've focused FridayLive! sessions on related issues and resources. Now we plan to develop something brief and accessible (“1-Pager”) that provides:
- A clear introduction to these tangled issues;
- A few examples of Fake News and other kinds of unreliable information;
- A few recommendations and examples of constructive responses;
- Links and references to additional resources.
Previously, participants suggested a simple version of “crowdsourcing” as both likely to help develop the collection of examples that we need, and as an approach that can help deal constructively with Fake News, etc.
So, this Friday, March 31, 2pm ET we will:
- Review what we've already been learning about the challenges of Fake News and other forms of unreliable information.
- Share results of the crowdsourcing event
- Tackle the "1-Pager" draft via online collaborative activities within the next few weeks.
NOTE: Login instructions for the session will be sent in the Registration Confirmation Email. Please check your Junk folder as sometimes these emails get trapped there. We will also send an additional login reminder a few hours prior to the start of the event.
REALLY IMPORTANT NOTE: You can become a TLT Group Individual Member for one year for $75. You'll be supporting just the sort of event you just registered for. Please join us!
Listen during the session for this week's special membership offer.