Keeping Up with Issues and Resources; Information Literacy Then and Now
Steve Bell, Associate University Librarian for Research & Instructional Services Temple University
Ilene Frank, Librarian
TLT Group Moderators: Steve Gilbert, Beth Dailey, Sally Gilbert
1:30 - 1:45 PM ET pre session.
1:40 - 1:55 PM ET Exchange Resources/Issues, Requests, Amusing Reports
1:55 - 2:00 PM ET Technology Orientation
2:00 -3:00 PM ET Main event.
3:00 - 3:30 PM ET After thoughts
"Fake News" and “Alternate Facts” Undermine Education: What can we do about Misinformation and Disinformation? Repairing the Chain of Trust.
Review how current conditions are same/different….?
1. What resources, practices, advice from “old” “Keeping Up” activities can be used well NOW? Why? How? [especially from Steve Bell’s “old” Keeping Up activities]
2. What resources, practices, advice from “old” “Keeping Up” activities cannot be used well NOW? Why? How?
3. What new resources, practices, advice do you have for keeping up now? Under new conditions? Esp. related to changes associated with the term “Fake News”? [especially from Steve Bell’s “old” Keeping Up activities]
On one hand we are still exploring these issues, in addition during this session we will offer at least one tangible use resource or recommendation related to:
- How to stay afloat and avoid the sandbars as we're swept along in the flood of information?
- How to identify, redirect or transform "willful ignorance" and
- How some humor can provide relief and perspective but other kinds can confuse and antagonize.
Explore need, feasibility of 1-pager of advice/guidance on constructive responses to fake news etc (based partly on updating CRAP test.
NOTE: Login instructions for the session will be sent in the Registration Confirmation Email. Please check your Junk folder as sometimes these emails get trapped there. We will also send an additional login reminder a few hours prior to the start of the event.
REALLY IMPORTANT NOTE: You can become a TLT Group Individual Member for one year for $75. You'll be supporting just the sort of event you just registered for. Please join us!
Listen during the session for this week's special membership offer.