"...Whether we like it or not, we can only hope for incremental change...except...in situations of mild crises, where the status quo is no longer satisfactory, and organizations rethink their goals and are more willing to think ‘rationally’".
What's the difference between careful planning and undue restraint of innovation? How do we recognize and where do we find the "...fine line between honest resistance to a project one feels is misguided and selfish sabotage of a necessary innovation. The difference is a matter for conscience and self-scrutiny. In both cases, the response is political, whether 'clean' or 'dirty' politics."
Within your own recent experience, on which side of that fine line do you most often find each of the following samples?
- Oh, I don't know if we should go ahead with this until we have every last little thing nailed down.
- We haven't really done anything like this before so we need to be really careful.
- Besides I have so much to do that I can't really help, but you two go ahead.
- I'm not sure it will make us any money so is there something else we should be doing instead?
- Oh, what will people think about this session? I'm sure there will be negative reaction so we really shouldn't move ahead.